Cajun Rice Recipe
This recipe is a longtime family favorite. In fact, we often have this spicy dish on the 4th of July along with beef brisket and potato salad as it’s a perfect side dish for any barbecue. It’s even great for a quick, easy, and inexpensive meal. But if you’re serving it as a side, it’s perfect with beef and chicken. And it’s so easy to make. Anyone can make this dish and get professional-quality results.
The recipe is perfect for a side dish to take to a party of celebration.
To make this dish, you’ll need a large, deep skillet with a tight fitting lid. A heavy pot with a lid will also work. Your pan will make a difference when making rice dishes. I use a stainless steal Wearever skillet with a Teflon coating. I bought it ages ago, and I don’t know if they still make it. It’s 12 inches wide and 3 inches deep and super heavy.
This recipe is spicy. If you don’t want it to be as hot, simply reduce the amount of cayenne pepper.
It’s really important that you use a quality rice in this dish. I use Texmati long grain, as I think it’s the best. It’s more expensive than other rices but well worth it.
Here’s my recipe:
Cajun Rice Recipe
1/2 to 1 pound of hamburger (use 1 pound if you want it to be more meaty)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion diced
1 green pepper diced
1 red pepper diced
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons Luzianne cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 16 oz can low sodium beef broth
1 16 oz can low sodium chicken broth
2 cups Texmati rice long grain American Basmati
- In a heavy pan, cook the onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add the green and red peppers and cook for about two minutes.
- Add the hamburger and cook until browned.
- Add the spices, broth, and butter. Stir. Bring to a boil.
- Add the rice. Stir thoroughly. Put the lid on the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Do not remove the lid. Turn the heat off and let the rice set for another 15 minutes. Then enjoy!